05/15 – present
Professor, Wagner School and Center for Urban Science and Progress, Provostial Fellow, New York University
Institute Fellow, American Institutes for Research
Professor cnv, University of Strasbourg
04/12 – 05/15
Institute Fellow and Senior Managing Economist, American Institutes for Research
Gutenberg Chair and Professor of Economics, BETA University of Strasbourg CNRS
Professor, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economics and Social Research, University of Melbourne
01/08 – 03/12
Senior Program Director, Science of Science and Innovation Policy Program, National Science Foundation
- Developed and managed the Science of Science and Innovation Policy program ($10 million budget).
- Built the multi-agency, multi-university Consortium “Science and Technology for America’s Reinvestment: Measuring the EffecTs of Research on Innovation, Competitiveness and Science” (STAR METRICS) program (https://starmetrics.nih.gov) with a budget of $3 million.
- Developed and implemented tools to meet NSF and White House strategic goals (http://readidata.nitrd.gov/star/home.html).
09/05 – 1/08
Senior Vice President and Director, Economics, Labor, and Population; NORC at the University of Chicago
- Managed the Economics Department, with a $30 million budget and 35 staff.
- Conceptualized and led the establishment of the NORC/University of Chicago data enclave http://www.norc.uchicago.edu/DataEnclave/ ).
Program Director, Economics, National Science Foundation
- Managed and allocated resources for the Economics program portfolio
- Created a new $4 million funding opportunity for the National Science Foundation “Next Generation Cybertools” solicitation: www.nsf.gov/pubs/2005/nsf05563/nsf05563.htm
01/00 – 08/04
Director, Employment Dynamics Program and Principal Research Associate, The Urban Institute
- Led the creation and permanent establishment of the Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics Program at the U.S. Census Bureau. It is now a permanent Census Bureau program (http://lehd.did.census.gov ) with appropriated funds of $11 million/year. It has also received a Department of Commerce Gold Medal.
- Developed a research agenda that generated over $15 million in grants and contracts from a variety of foundations, national and international agencies.
09/90 – 12/01
Assistant, Associate and Full Professor of Economics, American University
- Initiated a research agenda that led to over $5 million in grants and contracts from a variety of foundations, national and international agencies
- Won awards for teaching excellence.
05/92 – 12/06
The World Bank (consultancies and on sabbatical)
Education and Social Policy unit.
- Analyzed and documented the return on education investment in the Philippines, Tanzania and Nadu, India.
Private Sector Development unit
- Led a major skill needs project for Malaysia
- Designed and implemented evaluations in Mexico, Morocco, Tunisia, Madagascar.
01/84 – 05/90
Assistant and Associate Professor of Economics, University of Louisville
- Established the Center for Business and Economic Research
- Received several awards for research
12/82 – 12/83
Assistant Professor of Economics, Western Illinois University